Milwaukee Police Dept.(MILWAUKEE) -- Milwaukee Bucks player Sterling Brown has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the city of Milwaukee and multiple local police officers after they used a stun gun on him during his arrest earlier this year.
Brown's attorney, Mark Thomsen, alleged racially based excessive use of force during the Jan. 26, 2018 incident, which took place in a Walgreens parking lot. The NBA player, who was unarmed, was confronted by officers for parking in spots reserved for people with disabilities.
"He was attacked -- his neck grabbed, he was kneed in the groin, he was tased, handcuffed, left on the cold, wet pavement," Thomsen said at a news conference Tuesday.
An officer then stood on the NBA player's ankle for over 2 minutes and Brown was left on the ground for 12 minutes, Thomsen said.
Thomsen called the alleged bad police work a "stain" on the city and an "insult" to "good" officers.
"This kind of conduct must stop," Thomsen said. "Mr. Brown would hope that the city would act swiftly and that when he hits the floor this next season in our new stadium, that we celebrate that Milwaukee is an example to the country of what a city can do to turn itself around."
Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett said in response to the lawsuit, "I'm hopeful this incident will be a turning point and allow us to take those actions necessary to improve police community relations."
Neither the Milwaukee Police Department nor the union represented its officers immediately responded to ABC News' request for comment about the lawsuit, which was filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court.
Brown, 23, is asking for unspecified compensatory and punitive damages
Milwaukee police last month released video from the incident, which shows an officer’s waiting by Brown's car in the drugstore parking lot.
Brown's car was parked horizontally across two parking spots reserved for people with disabilities.
When Brown left the drug store, the officer asked him why he parked that way. The officer repeatedly told Brown to "back up," before telling him, "I will do what I want, all right? I own this right here."
In the video, other officers arrived and can be seen talking to Brown near his car when one of them shouted for Brown to take his hands out of his pockets.
A scuffle broke out and an officer repeatedly yelled, "Taser!" as Brown can be heard moaning on the ground.
One of the officers briefly took his gun out of his holster during the confrontation, new body-camera footage released by Thomsen shows.
Sgt. Sheronda Grant of The Milwaukee Police Department said per their standard operating procedure, "Police members may draw or display their firearms in circumstances where they reasonably believe it may be necessary to use their firearm in the performance of their duties."
The NBA player was arrested on a possible misdemeanor charge of resisting or obstructing an officer, but after police reviewed the confrontation -- including the body camera footage -- they declined to refer the case to prosecutors for charges. Ultimately, Brown was cited for a parking violation.
"I was defenseless," Brown told "Good Morning America" co-anchor Robin Roberts last month. "Whether I park illegally or not... it shouldn't have led to what it led to."
The Milwaukee Police Department later apologized to Brown and announced that three of the officers involved were disciplined.
Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett said the officers' behavior "has no place in our city."
"As a human,” he said, “I was offended by what I saw on the video.”
The Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission has called for an extensive review of the incident.
Streeter Lecka/Getty Images(BROCKTON, Mass.) -- Brockton, Massachusetts firefighter Matt Parziale is not only a full time firefighter but a U.S. Mid-Amateur Championship golfer who gave his dad the greatest Father’s Day gift, playing in the U.S Open.
After winning the U.S. Mid-Amateur last October, Parziale earned his first U.S. Open start and is the first Mid-Amateur champion to receive a U.S. Open exemption. His win also earned him an invitation to the 2018 Masters but he missed the cut.
Firefighter Parziale played all 18 holes at Shinnecock Hill in New York on Father’s Day Sunday with his father Vic Parziale as his caddie. Both father and son are firefighters, although Vic is now retired and Matt is on leave as he plays the U.S. Open and a few other tournaments.
After the 18th hole on Sunday, Parziale learned his four-day, 16-over-par landed him in a tie with Luis Gagne, earning him a trophy for low amateur honors.
Matt Parziale is no stranger to golf -- he played in college at Southeastern University in Florida and also won the 2017 Massachusetts Amateur at Charles River County Club.
Ian MacNicol/Getty Images(MEXICO CITY) -- Mexico's upset World Cup victory over Germany was literally earthshaking.
Super-sensitive earthquake sensors registered seismic activity at two sites in Mexico City that coincided with what proved to be the winning goal by Mexico's star player, Hirving Lazano, in that team's 1-0 triumph over defending World Cup champion Germany on Sunday.
The Institute of Geological and Atmospheric Investigations described the tremor in a tweet as an "artificial" quake possibly set off by "massive jumps" of fans watching the live broadcast of the white-knuckle match in Mexico.
Lozano's victorious strike came in at the 35-minute mark of the first half of the game at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, roughly the same time, 11:32 a.m. local time, that a quake registered 6,661 miles away in Mexico City, officials said.
The fan-generated shaker registered a magnitude 2, which would have been undetectable to the thousands of jubilant fans packed into Mexico City's Zocalo Square but was enough to move the needles on the Richter scale, officials said.
iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Here are the scores from yesterday's sports events:
INTERLEAGUE Final Baltimore 10 Miami 4 Final Toronto 8 Washington 6 Final Texas 13 Colorado 12
AMERICAN LEAGUE Final Cleveland 4 Minnesota 1 Final Tampa Bay 3 N-Y Yankees 1 Final Detroit 3 Chi White Sox 1 Final Houston 7 Kansas City 4 Final Oakland 6 L-A Angels 5, 11 Innings Final Boston 9 Seattle 3
NATIONAL LEAGUE Final Atlanta 4 San Diego 1 Final Cincinnati 8 Pittsburgh 6 Final Philadelphia 10 Milwaukee 9 Final San Francisco 4 L-A Dodgers 1 Final N-Y Mets 5 Arizona 3 Final St. Louis 5 Chi Cubs 0
John Tlumacki/The Boston Globe via Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Tom Brady has "respect" for the players who chose to take a knee during the national anthem before football games last season, the New England Patriots quarterback told Oprah Winfrey in an interview.
Brady said the controversy surrounding the kneeling protests prompted "a lot of good healthy conversations ... in our locker room."
"I respect why people are doing what they are doing. And they’re doing it for different reasons, and that’s okay. You know, you can do things for your reason. They can do things for their reason, and you have respect for that. But, I thought it was great," Brady told Winfrey.
In the interview, a clip of which was released ahead of the full special this weekend, Brady talked about how the Patriots "chose to lock arms" as they walked out as a team after group discussions.
"We had meetings after practice talking about how we wanted to deal with that particular situation," he said.
"We support what people are going through," he said.
"I’ve been playing sports long enough [to know] everyone comes from something different, and I think showing respect for everybody, in a locker room, with a team of guys trying to go in the same direction —- you better have that empathy for everybody. That’s what sports are about," he said.
This isn't the first time Brady has talked about the decision of some players to take a knee to protest police brutality.
In September 2017, Brady criticized President Donald Trump, with whom he has been friendly in the past, for calling on any kneeling players to be fired or suspended.
Brady said Trump's comments were "just divisive."
"I think everyone has the right to do whatever they want to do. If you don’t agree, that is fine. You can voice your disagreement, I think that is great. It’s part of our democracy. As long as it is done in a peaceful, respectful way, that is what our country has been all about," Brady said during a radio show appearance.
Mary Altaffer-Pool/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor broke his silence Thursday about allegedly sparking a melee in April in Brooklyn, New York, that left two foes injured - saying he "regrets" his actions in the out-of-Octagon altercation.
The 29-year-old Irish cage brawler spoke following a brief hearing in Brooklyn Supreme Court, where a prosecutor told a judge that McGregor and another MMA fighter, Cian Cowley, were in the process of negotiating a plea deal on assault charges.
"I regret my actions that lead me here today," the heavily tattooed McGregor told reporters as he left the courthouse. "I understand the seriousness of this matter and I am hopeful that it gets resolved soon."
McGregor, the former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight and lightweight titleholder, was charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief after being arrested on April 6. He allegedly attacked a bus full of fighters following a pre-fight press conference for what had been billed as a 13-bout UFC 223 match at the Barclays Center.
Fighters Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg were injured by flying glass when McGregor threw a metal dolly at their bus in a backstage area of the Barclays Center, shattering a window. The attack was caught on video and also showed Cowley allegedly hurling a chair at the bus and McGregor also attempting to throw a metal barricade to the vehicle before he was stopped.
Cowley, 25, was also charged with assault and criminal mischief.
Brooklyn Assistant District Attorney Janet Gleeson told a judge Thursday that the case against McGregor and Cowley has not been presented to a grand jury for possible indictment due to the plea negotiations.
McGregor and Cowley were ordered to return to court on July 26. They both remain free on $50,000 bail each.
Barbara Haddock Taylor/Baltimore Sun/TNS via Getty Images(COLLEGE PARK, Md.) -- The University of Maryland football team is in mourning in the wake of the death of one of its young players.
Sophomore offensive lineman Jordan McNair died Wednesday, the university said, after he had been taken to a hospital May 29 after an organized team workout.
The cause of his death was not immediately clear.
A GoFundMe page set up last week to raise money for his parents said the sophomore received a liver transplant. The page didn't further discuss his medical problems.
McNair was a "tremendous athlete, student, teammate and friend, and he will be sorely missed," Executive Athletic Director Damon Evans said in a letter Wednesday. "We offer our deepest condolences to his parents, family and friends."
"Our team is heartbroken with the loss of Jordan McNair," Coach DJ Durkin said in a statement released by the athletic director. "Jordan was an incredible young man, and his passion and enthusiasm made him an invaluable and beloved member of our team."
McNair, 19, was an "extremely talented" player and a "hard worker" who "always had a smile on his face," Durkin said.
He was a "humble and genuine human being" who "embodied the essence of what it means to be a teammate," the coach added.
Quarterback Kasim Hill tweeted, "Thank you for allowing me to know a great friend, teammate and a man who was truly a brother."
"Jordan was a fighter," Durkin said. "Over the past few weeks, Jordan never gave up with his family, friends and team by his side. Our team will continue to be inspired by the spirit of this brave fighter. Please continue to pray for Jordan’s family during this difficult time."